1. Hug and kiss your spouse every morning before leaving the house. Research indicates that marriages that practice this simple discipline are much healthier than those that don’t. If they are sleeping, leave a note.
2. Share little touches throughout the day when you are together (a rub on the back, a quick squeeze of the hand). This goes a long…way in conveying affection, unity and support.
3. Go an entire day without criticizing anything about your spouse. Instead, try to notice them doing something that you really appreciate, and tell them how much you value them.
4. Go to bed at the same time for a week; just talk or read a book and share the quietness together. Or play a card game that you used to play when you dated or were just married.
5. Text your spouse a kind thought once during the day. “I hope your day is going well”, or simply “thinking of you.”
6. Ask them what their plans are for the day and offer to help. Work together to accomplish both person’s priorities for the day.
7. Put down the newspaper or turn off the computer, and say, “How was your day?” Then be quiet and just listen.
8. Compliment their parenting. When you don’t agree, pull them away for a private conversation: Use team speak. “That was a difficult issue. I’m glad we can work together to tackle tough issues. Help me understand your choices there so I know what to do next time. What could we have done differently.”
9. Worship and pray together as a family, AND privately as a couple. Thank God for your family – each member separately- and pray for their health and strength.
10. Give each other a little time each day to do what you each enjoy doing (alone). (Take turns watching the kids). Don’t criticize their chosen activity (as long as it doesn’t jeopardize their individual health or the health of your marriage and family).
11. Brag on each other in public (when your spouse is with you AND when they are not.
12. Frequently tell your children how wonderful your spouse is as a spouse and as a parent, and why!
13. Take turns shuttling your kids to their activities and give your spouse a break!
When you’ve done all you can but are still facing divorce, contact us.
We are here for you.